[BC] Internet attacks

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Thu Jul 9 00:53:07 CDT 2009

My Verizon DSL at my office was missing the Internet connection off-and-on yesterday. The DSL LED was illuminated, but the Internet LED was red and alternately flashing at the one-second rate that usually means it is trying to make the PPoE connection. It is likely that Verizon had major problems yesterday and it was simply blamed on attackers. It is also possible that they shut down their DNS to attack the attackers, sort of like shutting down a radio station because the weather is bad.

Grade B Movie script:
Verizon accountants fire their technicians to make the quarterly projections.
One tech gets wind of it and pulls the switch as he is being dragged out the door.
Verizon claims their outage was caused by attackers.
It's sorta true.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/