[BC] Internet attacks

r.j.carpenter rcarpen at comcast.net
Wed Jul 8 20:04:59 CDT 2009

Our office is in the DC area. Our experience with today's Internet
attacks did not involve any US Govt sites or the Washington Post.

We are on Verizon as an ISP. Our web site is in Ohio. We could not
access it for a number of hours today - getting the "address not found"
message which I naively attribute to a DNS not returning an IP address.
Perhaps the denial of service attack was aimed at overloading the DNS
which Verizon uses for the DC area.

I had a similar experience trying to access the WTOP web site and a site
in the UK. In fact I couldn't reach anything during the morning.

People in other parts of the US had no trouble reaching our web site.

I probably mainly displayed my ignorance in the above message.

bob carpenter