[BC] satellite recommendation

Glen Kippel glen.kippel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 16:02:34 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM, <bmc1956 at aol.com> wrote:

> We are a LPFM in Lake Charles, LA with a low
> budget.  We are having trouble getting our news
> feed from IRN/USA because of our poor satellite
> reception equipment.  We need to replace the
> whole thing, receiver, dish and all.
>
> What size dish would you reccommend, and where
> can it be purchased?

Dawn Satellite could probably fix you up.  You may be best off by looking up
the satellite footprint of the AMC8 that you are trying to receive and
compare that with the footprints of the adjacent birds.  That would give you
an idea of whether or not you need the bigger dish.  I found that a 10-foot
Winegard TVRO dish gave only marginal EbNo performance here and went with a
3.3-meter DH spun aluminum dish.  There are a couple of advantages of going
with the DH dish, one being that you don't have to spend time assembling it
and truing it up and the other is that they deliver it on their own truck.
Just set a pipe in the ground and put the dish on it.