[BC] satellite recommendation

towers at mre.com towers at mre.com
Tue Jul 7 16:09:26 CDT 2009

You need someone familar with satellite downlinks to examine your system
before throwing the whole thing out.  Mike Patton is in your area.

SOLID 3.7M (12ft.) dishes as noted are needed to meet the standards of the
present day.  An old 3M mesh dish is not enough.

A DH Satellite dish and Cal Amp PLL LNB on each is the ticket. Reliable
and rock solid.  You won't need to replace the RX's.

BTW, you'll need two dishes if you want to receive AMC3 at 87deg. (Unity
4000) and AMC 8 at 139 deg.(ABC Starguide) with any reliability.  I have
learned to NOT trust motorized dishes at the low end of the equipment
range.  They never line up and are maintenance hogs.

Also, you need to factor hurricane rating for the dish and the foundation.
You can beef up the DH dish and mount to resist and survive higher wind
gusts and hold the dish steady.  HOWEVER, the dish as a whole will not
survive Cat. 3 or higher winds for any length of time without SUBSTANTIAL
re-inforcement of the mount and dish. Few dishes will and those cost $$$$$
and up to do so.

The DH dish and GALVANIZED mount will run about $2800 each.  Call Mike
Tosch to confirm pricing.  All that's needed byond that is the 5" schedule
40 pipe mast for each dish and the LNB.

MM