[BC] Fire suppression

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Sat Jul 4 16:26:55 CDT 2009

Rich!
Halon replaces oxygen and cools as it evaporates. It is one of those "Freons" that the environmentalists want to get rid of. It is also non-poisonous, in fact, it doesn't get absorbed either through the lungs or the skin. Since it will REPLACE oxygen, it has a special problem for humans. The normal gas that would replace oxygen is carbon dioxide. The body responds to increases in CO2 concentration by increasing the breathing rate and inducing panic. The body ignores Halon. Therefore, if you are in a room where it has been discharged, you won't smell anything, you won't panic, you will just quietly expire if the oxygen has been displaced.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/