[BC] Fire suppression

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Sat Jul 4 19:35:33 CDT 2009

------ At 05:26 PM 7/4/2009, RichardBJohnson at comcast.net wrote: -------

>Therefore, if you are in a room where it has been discharged, you
>won't smell anything, you won't panic, you will just quietly expire
>if the oxygen has been displaced.

I realize that without oxygen I have a small problem. People have
come out of the woodwork with explanations. I think I'm simply going
to rely on my fire department training on how to evacuate high rise
buildings. I've been a fire warden in three buildings, The Daily News
Building, 1440 Broadway and the IDT building. The most dire warnings
I was given were in the IDT building specifically because of the
Halon. There were large exhaust fans in the Halogen protected areas,
so I'm going to go with the production of dangerous gas. I can't
imagine the need for the incredible escape mechanisms if Halon's
quick extinguishing simply reduced oxygen. The rest of the building
had nothing more than fire extinguishers and stairwells.

No such warnings were given by the Fire Department in either of the
other buildings. No Halon in either one. I recall asking the Fire
Chief how I should handle the data room. He said to get anyone out of
there first and suggested it made their job harder.

Our system must have had a pressure system. We could only remove the
floor tiles one at a time. The building manager had to be present.

Rich