[BC] web registrars

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Wed Jul 1 07:53:32 CDT 2009

I use Host My Site.
http://www.hostmysite.com/

They use both Microsoft and Linux servers, actually using Apache servers so the actual operating system remains transparent except that the Linux/Unix file-systems have a top-level directory that is somewhat different, known to the user only if prowling around.

They provide several services from merely acquiring a domain-name for you, through an IP-only account where they put your IP address in their DNS, and you do your own hosting from a fixed IP address at your site, through hosting accounts where you can become your own system administrator and configure your server the way you want using a web control panel.

I use "Host My Site" after being burned by others including "Go Daddy." I build my complete web site on my own computer and when it works, as I want, I upload it using 'ftp.' Many others use FrontPage and other programs that have 'ftp' built-in. One can also build a site on-line using canned tools, but that is for the novice.

I recently bought "syncweb," a program made by some Brits, available on the web:
http://www.focussoftware.co.uk/syncweb/index.htm

Once configured, all I have to do is click on it to synchronize what I have changed locally with what I want on my web site. It works great.

I have three sites I built on "Host My Site:"

http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/
http://www.Route495Software.com/
http://www.GoldRedeemer.com/

The complete cost for web-hosting of the site I did for "Gold Redeemer," including finding a domain-name and registering it was $114.00 per year. They have excellent customer service, handled by Americans who talk American English, and follow everything up with an Email report.

I do not work for Host My Site!

On the other hand………..Absolutely positively do not use Liberty Names of America http://www.lnoa.com/

I obtained my jmodem.com domain through them and they stole it. Basically, without letting you know, they acquire your name for themselves and then "rent" it to you. This prevents you from transferring what you think you own! You think you own a domain-name, and actually, they own it. It is a rip-off.

Here is the Wois record for MY domain, Jmodem.com, which they have stolen.

Whois Record
Registrant:
   Whois Privacy Protection
   1623 Military Road #663
   Niagara Falls, NY 14304
   US
   Domain Name: JMODEM.COM
   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Whois Privacy Protection
      1623 Military Road #663
      Niagara Falls, NY 14304
      US
      (877)696-5662
      (905)812-0020 [fax]
   Domain created on 24-Feb-2004
   Domain expires on 24-Feb-2010
   Last updated on 19-Mar-2007

   Domain servers in listed order:

      NS1.DOMAINDISCOVER.COM
      NS2.DOMAINDISCOVER.COM

Registration Service Provided By:
Liberty Names of America
www.lnoa.com
1-877-696-5662

They are scammers:
http://www.webuildpages.com/jim/liberty-names-of-america/
The Better Business Bureau has thousands of complaints.
http://search.buffalo.bbb.org/codbrep.html?ID=17003127

I have been unable to get my domain-name away from them and they basically call my bluff advising me to sue them.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/