[BC] Tower guy wire coating

Allen Sherrill warp99 at hotmail.com
Thu May 29 14:30:31 CDT 2008

Howdy, wise folk:

I am collecting bids for a tower repainting job, and one of the tower guys is trying to upsell me on applying a coating on the guy wires.

Apparently this is some sort of petroleum product, similar to heavy motor oil, that is applied to the wires and hardens.  Supposedly it prevents corrosion, premature guy failure, hair loss, IRS audits...well, you know.

Other than interlaced guy wires on closely-spaced towers, I have never heard of applying any such protective coating on guys.  Is this legitimate, or just another extra that makes money for tower guys?

Allen Sherrill