[BC] Tower guy wire coating

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 29 18:21:03 CDT 2008

> Apparently this is some sort of petroleum product, similar to heavy motor oil,
> that is applied to the wires and hardens.  Supposedly it prevents corrosion,
> premature guy failure, hair loss, IRS audits...well, you know.

  No, No, No!  NO GREASES OR TARS!  (they trap water in the core)

   A pressurized application of "prelub 19" every 4 or 5 years will
allow most guy wires to last forever, a factory application of "prelub HV"
during the winding of "bridge strand" is guaranteed (without any further
application) to last for a very long time.  All prelub products contain
no petroleum products, they are linseed oil based.  I'm only a user.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - Do you remember the wayward wind?
                        It was all wavy!