[BC] More IP fun

JYRussell@academicplanet.com jyrussell at academicplanet.com
Thu May 29 11:14:03 CDT 2008

Hi Ron, Cowboy, and all -

  Here's another interesting thing.  Since that NoIP program has been added,
I no longer actually have to use a port at ALL to hit it.

   Just type in the address for my router - and it automatically goes
directly to the program being hooked to whereever by the NoIp program!  No
Port needed!  I guess that's what they mean by NoIP.  thankfully it doesn't
just automatically connect.

  I also note there is now a 10.100.0.1 address in the chain that never used
to be there.
As in - if I ping my own internal router - I see it fine.
If I tracert to the DNS, I do NOT see my own router in the path (!) but I do
see a new address.... 10.100.0.1.  I know that is some sort of business
class address..

   The new address answers fine, a tracert to it still does not reveal my
router.
That then goes to a new address on the the isp, which takes me to the DNS at
the ISP.

The router, meanwhile, doesn't show that address at all in any table.
Jason