[BC] IP Weirdness

Mark W. Croom markc at kjly.com
Tue May 27 10:02:08 CDT 2008

I've got a machine that's doing the same thing, but it's not mission critical
so I turned it off until I can get back to that station. I'm thinking it's
going to be the LAN card because internet access would slow to a crawl while
the DHCP server in the router was busy dealing with this machine that was
popping on and off the net. No other machines were showing the connection
problem, but their internet access got really spotty while this was going on.
Once I shut the thing off operation returned to normal on all the other boxes.

The idea of turning off the NoIP machine is a good idea if you can. One night
with it off would tell you a lot, I suspect.

It is not out of the question that the power supply might be getting bad on
the switch, or some other switch issue is happening. More likely there is a
single LAN interface card on one of the machines (maybe even one port of the
router) that is bringing the whole thing to its knees.

Good luck.

Mark
MN