[BC] IP Weirdness- Domains

Jason R. jyrussell at academicplanet.com
Tue May 27 19:36:44 CDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernie Courtney" <bcourtney at metrobcast.com>
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2008 8:41 PM
Subject: Re: [BC] IP Weirdness

>a few thoughts:
>
> 1.) If all your machines are intermittently losing network
> connectivity, then swap out your switch, there obviously is something
> wrong.
*** Things ran fine for many months.  Swapping the Linksys Gig switch over
to a 10/100 HUB works fine, just slow, all the dropouts go away.  RJ's are
all wired with one pair swapped... what is that, the B standard  , hows that
go... brn,brn/str, grn,grn/str, blu,blu/str, org, org/str... but first swap
the stripe for grn & blu...it's either A or B standard, right from the book,
but I always have to look at the book again to remember which it actually
is...

> 2.)what are the subnets involved?  are you perhaps trying to ping the
> broadcast address for one of them?
**********the sub for the INTERNET is 255.255.254.0 - in house is
255.255.255.0
I've tried making them both the same, (255) but it doens't seem to change a
thing.

> 3.)what are the OS's of the machines in question and are they part of a
> domain?
******** It's XP Pro.  No, I haven't fiddled with any domains yet.

Jason R.