[BC] AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

dynotherm at earthlink.net dynotherm at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 18:31:51 CDT 2008

You might try following the Lightning Protection and Power
Quality list on Yahoo. The ESE failures are reported frequently.

Unrelated to broadcast, it is a question of safety of life and
property. In general, a well known party in the ESE "industry"
who tried obtaining listing via law suit has been kicked so far
off the field that much of the smoke and mirrors is beginning
to dissipate. With the last round of decisions a few months ago,
trying to use ESE in a code approved building is an interesting
historical quirk that is over, finished and done.

One of the prime movers behind rejection of ESE has been Abdul
Moussa, recently retired from Ontario Hydro. How are they biased?
If I were back in my office I could send you many clips of reports
from around the world where the "value" of ESE is treated as a joke
for protecting property because it does not do the job either in
theory or in fact.

Franklin rods are cheap and effective building protection as shown
by a couple of hundred years of use.

ESE may (I think probably does) have value in the limited field of
broadcasting because it can dissipate some strikes, but not all.
But, where a large building is at risk, less than 100% protection
is inadequate. Fortunately, for those of us in broadcasting, this
is not the case, and we can very effectively use ESE rods without
much risk of serious loss. WRT effectiveness, YMMV, but trying it
can't hurt much.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD