[BC] IP clock displays

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Fri May 23 22:07:50 CDT 2008

Most POE switches ARE expensive.  They are generally top of the line
switches, not some consumer grade thing from Best Buy.

There are other choices.  There are boxes that look exactly like
switches that you loop into to add power.  They are like Bias Ts used
for LNAs and LNBs.  There are also single drop power inserters.  You
can put them anywhere along the line, AND like a Bias T, you can take
power off too.

And finally, any of us can build our own.  Just put two RJ-45s back
to back and wire it yourself.  You might even get neat and break open
a RJ-45 female to female coupler and wire it, or even cut open a
jumper, or make a jumper yourself bringing out the pairs for power.
It really isn't Rocket Surgery.

--chip

P.S.  One more thing, the compact POE switches are really LOUD.  They
really move a lot of air.  You want it in the server room or some
closet away from people.  You sure don't want it in your office or shop!