[BC] AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

Gary Peterson kzerocx at rap.midco.net
Fri May 23 09:20:16 CDT 2008

" If you have ever noticed, the lightning nearly
always follows a spiral path down the trunk of the tree, the spiral pattern
caused by the influence of the intense magnetic field on the arc.
Greg "

There are several trees within 100 yards of my home that have been
"barber-poled" by lightning.  I should record the direction of the
blown-off-bark-helix on each.  I suspect, as you noted, that application of
the right-hand rule would indicate the polarity of the strike.  If not, then
the electrons are following the path with the most moisture under the bark.
I doubt that it has anything to do with Coriolis effect. :-)

My 65 ft., Rohn 25 amateur tower is in the middle of many trees.  The mast
extends five feet above the Yagi beam.  At the tip of the mast, I attached a
very sharp, single point.  At night, during stormy weather, I can see a
corona up there.  To the best of my knowledge and belief, the tower has
never been struck in twenty years.  Many of the nearby trees have taken
hits, in the last twenty years.  I believe this is due to either dumb luck
or the sharp point never allows a large enough potential to build up,
breaking down the air dielectric and allowing a strike.

Gary, KØCX
CE KFXS, KOUT, KKMK, KRCS, KKLS & KBHB
Rapid City, SD