[BC] More thoughts about AM transmitter lightning

dynotherm at earthlink.net dynotherm at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 09:36:27 CDT 2008

While the new installation does not have johnny ball arcs, the ball gaps
at the tower bases must discharge when the tower potential becomes high.
It is interesting that this discharge is not noticed as the plasma also
effectively shorts the RF to ground momentarily.

There may be an explanation in the number of electrical degrees
between the short and the Tx. In fact, the phase differential
between short and Tx is equally likely as the reason for hiccups
going away as the long insulators. There is no way of knowing
positively which (or both) it is in this situation.

Some towers put on "light shows" before a thunderstorm moves in
and wets the insulators without significant effect on the Tx. In
other cases of tower guy systems with built-in "fireworks" in the
guy system, the Tx starts muting with every flash. Often the
difference can be found in the phase angle between the Tx and the
tower(s).

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD