Fw: [BC] More thoughts about AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

Milton R. Holladay Jr. miltron at mindspring.com
Thu May 22 00:12:41 CDT 2008

If the lines go through a stick of steel conduit, the ferrite beads will
likely be superfluous.  If there is room, run the xmtr/phasor coax through a
piece; if not, use ferrite donuts.  If there is no cap in series with the
phasor, it might pay to add one, a large value, like .01 or bigger, so that
the X crank can easily null it out.

WVOC /560 /3-440' towers hass a Gates 5 and AFAIK does not have this
problem. The 3 twr 50kw on 840 with an XL-60 that I installed a few years
ago has been maintainance/repair free .

At WCOS' 440' tower, it was normal to get a few trips as a cloud approached
and static crackled as it jumped the guy insulators, but this ceased the
instant they got wet.
 *Does this happen at your place?*
Where are you located ?