[BC] AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Wed May 21 15:20:20 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 02:56 pm, Dana Puopolo wrote:
>  and you might also try increasing the loop between the ATU and
>  tower to three turns from the normal one turn.

 And......

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 03:28 pm, Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote:

>   If there aren't output
>  capacitors in the leg of the Tee networks, install one.
>  Not so great a value of Xc that requires a lot of coil,
>  but enough to block DC.

 Be VERY careful modifying the networks on a DA.
 This WILL affect bandwidth and such.
 Check with your design consultant before doing such mods.

>  Also, you must have a strap
>  from each tower base back to the phasor and transmitter.

 The grounding of the transmitter itself was my final after thought.

 I consider the phasor cabinet to be THE station ground common point,
 center of the star.
 EVERYTHING should return to that cabinet for ground. Everything.
 Each tower base strap should return to that cabinet, though a common
 strap that "Y"'s out in the field is OK. Each ATU cabinet should be
 grounded to that strap as close to the ATU as possible.
 The transmitter should have its own strap to the phasor cabinet
 separate and apart from the coax shield.
 The phasor cabinet, of course, must be bonded to a real earth ground.
 If the strap to the tower bases is big enough ( 3 inch or better ) AND is
 bonded to a few ground rods where it departs the building, that will suffice,
 though I usually try to run at least two 4 inch to a transverse strap JUST outside
 the building with three or five ground rods, and tie the tower straps to that
 transverse, which I also run buried around the outside of the building to pick up
 the AC power and telco grounds.

--
Cowboy