[BC] Older telephone systems

RLO2L at aol.com RLO2L at aol.com
Wed May 21 14:22:27 CDT 2008

In a message dated 5/21/2008 12:33:06 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
thebeaver32 at gmail.com writes:
Ring voltage at 20 Hz was provided by a weighted vibrating
reed relay that opened and closed a set of contacts on a transformer,
switching DC through the transformer primary. Watching it work was
fascinating. It ran on 24 volts provided by two car batteries in series.

You should have worked in a Central office in the 1960's!

Like the -48 volt battery string that used huge wet cell batteries.

I asked my supervisor what those little green plastic sticks were
poking up out of each cell.

Why, "Russel, those are floats that tell us the level of the
electrolyte in each cell."

To which I replied, "then why do they disappear when I tap on them?"

When the vent covers were removed, we discovered dry brown battery
plates and NO ELECTROLYTE!

Russel L. O'Toole, P.C.
R&M Consulting
31 Ponderosa Drive