[BC] Digital converters remote question

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Wed May 14 17:38:41 CDT 2008

On Monday 12 May 2008 08:13 pm, Mark Earle wrote:
>  So.. anyone have some recomendations with the $50 converter boxes? Good
>  or bad, after some time living with same?

 Not so much a recommendation as a bit of recent experience.

>  I know it may be desirable to get one with analog pass through.

 I thought so, and was REAL disappointed after phoning ahead, then
 finding out that this Radio Scrap didn't have.
 Since it already cost me about $8 in gas to get there ( it was Monday when
 gas was cheap at 3.75/gal ) I brought home the Zenith DTT900

>  What about the remote - and the audio - does the converter's remote,
>  control the volume?

 This one does, yes, though it's about 9 db low even at max on both
 the RCA audio jacks, and in the modulated RF.

>  None of the specs I've seen mention this; can't try
>  it at the store of course, that would be too logical.

 ;)

>  Ideally, I'd like to hook the antenna to the box.. the box to the TV..
>  and once I turn on the box, have just one remote control in my hand.

 Supposedly you can do that. The button is on the remote, but I haven't
 got it doing that yet.

>  OR ??? feed the box output to the RCA Composite jacks? and still control
>  the volume with the box remote, when using the box.

 Personally, I'd decided to put the box LAST in my chain, JUST before the TV
 itself, AFTER VCR's and such, but run the RCA audio/video to a VCR.
 That way, I get the best of both, and don't need an RF pass through at all,
 since the VCR feeds the RCA audio/video of the TV.

 Except for the pin-head effect ( where the picture is fine in analog and
 squished sideways in digital ) it's been an OK thing, so far.

--
Cowboy