[BC] Continental 314R-1 Trouble (UPDATE!)

Steve avcradio at roadrunner.com
Tue May 13 15:29:50 CDT 2008

I have been looking over this thing since Friday the power has been shut off
since and only the filaments turned on a few times I removed a few
components but didn't make any hardware changes, fired it up on load and it
has been running for 4 hours @ high power now with no sign of a problem? I
am letting it continue to run and see what happens. Any Ideas???

Steve Fraunfelter

Chief Engineer

AVC Communications Inc

WCMJ-FM WWKC-FM WBNV-FM

WILE-AM/FM WBIK-FM

>Having some trouble with this transmitter, It will run for a short period
of time at low power, put it at high power and it trips off after all the
meters peg. I assumed

>the switch tube was going bad and I changed it, same problem. Bias voltage
was a little low so I replaced some of the caps that have been drying out
and the voltage

>is normal +115, -115 turn to low power good so far then high power and same
thing trips off, I have found out that if I would shut off the bias supply
for a second or two

>and back on it will run for a while at low power, but not at high power.
Would there be something wrong with the switchmod card ? Also Continental is
telling me

>that the clamp diode could be breaking down but I disagree since when I
remove bias voltage briefly it will work. Does anyone have any ideas?