[BC] Lat Long question (Answered)

Tom Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Tue May 13 10:32:43 CDT 2008

Caveat, though -

The errors may not be trivial in all instances - for example, I
converted a small-town FM's NAD-27 to NAD-83, and plugged into Google
earth.  the TX site was well over 600 feet off east; close to the 100
meter maximum error indicated for conversion between the original NAD-27
co-ordinates and the revised NAD-83(86).

The offset between the NAD-83 co-ordinates and what you can get from a
set of GPS readings will be within a meter or so, according to USGS...

 From the previously-linked NADCON site:

"NAD 83 coordinates based on the HPGN/HARN surveys changed approximately
0.2 to 1.0 meter relative to the original NAD 83 (1986) adjustment. As
these high accuracy networks have been completed, the horizontal
geodetic network of each state has been re-adjusted to be consistent
with its network of A- and B-order control, thus creating a need for
grids that allow for the transformation from the NAD 83(86) adjustment
to the new adjusted values. These grids carry the designation 'HPGN' to
distinguish them from the grids created from the original NAD 83(86)
adjustment."

NADCON claims a conversion accuracy to within ~12-18 cm for NAD-27 to
NAD-83, and ~5-6 cm from NAD-83 to HARN - so, maximum possible error
would be roughly 24 cm - or less than 12 inches off...