[BC] Lat Long question (Answered)

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Tue May 13 08:48:51 CDT 2008

They are not far off from each other for practical
purposes, but if you want to make a FCC filing,
some corrections should occur. Here's the Hammet
and Edison paper on the subject.

http://www.h-e.com/pdfs/de_sbe94.pdf

Note that most of the surveying in the Northeast
is awful (read wrong). There are whole towns
that are not where they purport to be. In fact,
computerization of property boundaries in the
80's disclosed that there is about twice as
much property (area) owned as actually exists!
When you hire a surveyor to survey some land,
they try to reconstruct the original boundaries
and replace the words with geographical
coordinates. It isn't easy!

Even the GPS coordinates need to be
"corrected" because they assume a spherical
earth with its center of gravity in its center,
when, in fact it is pear-shaped, with the CG
displaced off towards the Andes Mountains!

So, unless you are making a FCC filing,
Google-Earth is close enough with the
maximum error being 1.3 seconds in
latitude and 4.4 seconds in longitude.