[BC] Surveys

Gary Glaenzer gglaenzer at hqradio.com
Tue May 13 10:29:28 CDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <RichardBJohnson at comcast.net>

 > Note that most of the surveying in the Northeast
 > is awful (read wrong). There are whole towns
 > that are not where they purport to be. In fact,
 > computerization of property boundaries in the
 > 80's disclosed that there is about twice as
 > much property (area) owned as actually exists!

I had my lot surveyed in 1990

Original was in 1825 (40 acres donated by one Joseph Strawn for the
site of the City of
Jacksonville, originally deeded to him by the State of IL for $ 1.25 per acre)

In the words of the guy in charge; 'We cannot find the original
survey to be in error'

IOW, all subsequent surveys have to conform to the original.

In my case, the block was found to be 599' 9" long rather than the
original figure of 600.

So my lot is now 87.963293  feet ( 87 feet, 11.5595 inches) wide
instead of 88 feet ( ( 88
/ 600 ) * 599.75)

The same thing happened all up and down the block...error in original
is proportioned out
to all lots.

Of more interest, however was when the fertilizer impacted the
air-handler as the property
owner at the other end of the block was told that the neighboring
home was 14 " over the
property line.

Now, a 3" error in 600 feet is pretty substantial, I was told by this
same crew that they
surveyed a power line down thru rural Greene County IL and found a
corner marker at the
junction of 4 townships that was in error by a whopping 1/4 INCH on
the original
1830's-era survey.........this out in the middle of the IL River
flood plain, it's not the
end of creation, but the end is visible from there.

Just south of Hannibal MO the USGS maps show the border between Ralls
and Pike Counties as
'Indefinite Boundary'