[BC] Ethics

Alan Kline akline at netins.net
Mon May 12 18:54:40 CDT 2008

The nonsense about the costs of the digital conversion are just
that--nonsense.

The majority of stations finished their build-out years ago. We did ours
in 2002, with the only costs since then adding two more amplifier
cabinets to the digital TX. Not chump change, to be sure, but hardly
enough to drive a station to bankruptcy. Yes, there is the cost of
running two rigs instead of one, but that will change in about 9 months.
The cost wasn't inconsiderable, but again, not enough to sink a well-run
ship. My point is simply that there should not have been enough
conversion-related costs in the last year or two to cause this kind of
meltdown.

If I were to hazard a guess as to the real root of Pappas' trouble, it
may have something to do with his efforts to launch another Hispanic
network. I suspect that that market was already saturated and couldn't
sustain another competitor.

Too many companies have tried to whine that the conversion of their
entire plant to digital was mandatory. In the immortal words of Sherman
T. Potter, Col. (MC) USA, "Horse Hockey!" Nothing is required except the
transmission plant. You could run a TK-41 and a film chain into a
digital encoder and be legal. From a competitive point of view, not
smart, but still legal. Everything else is nothing more than the routine
replacement of worn-out, fully-amortized equipment that our business has
done for the last 85 or so years. Yet, some badly-managed companies use
that as an excuse to get out the body bags and fire people.

ak