[BC] avoiding the marketers

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Sat May 10 11:16:46 CDT 2008

At 12:45 AM 5/10/2008, Broadcast List USER, wrote
>I don't answer calls from "unavailable" or "out of area" numbers, or
>those from toll free area codes.  (see whocalled.us)

         Whocalled.us is a good resource, as it
         indentifies a lot of the bad stuff.

>SMS to Cell Phones is now becomming a problem.  My wife and I are on
>AT&T, and they are REALLY stupid.  They give us the choice of ALL SMS
>or NO SMS.  IDIOTS!  We SHOULD have the choice of SMS inside our
>account or between people we choose.

         Idiots?  This is a major cash generator
         for most of the cell companies.
         I'd use another word for that.

         On the other hand, with the current
         push for flat priced cell service (albeit
         at $100), SMS filtering may be in the
         future, as it will reduce bandwidth
         for the cell companies after they give
         up the 15 cents for each SMS.

>Because of (mostly) VoIP, and other low cost long distance and
>International dialing options, I am getting a LOT more telemarketing
>calls from Mexico and the Caribbean.  I got rude with one, and he
>said, "we are not covered by your stupid American laws."

         Most likely, the bureaucrats will
         study this for a while ... before
         doing virtually nothing.