[BC] avoiding the marketers

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sat May 10 11:41:16 CDT 2008

>>Because of (mostly) VoIP, and other low cost long distance and
>>International dialing options, I am getting a LOT more telemarketing
>>calls from Mexico and the Caribbean.  I got rude with one, and he
>>said, "we are not covered by your stupid American laws."

Though I don't see mention of callers outside the US in the FCC rule
(47CFR64.1200 http://sujan.hallikainen.org/FCC/FccRules/2008/64/1200/),
the US Code does mention people outside the US. 47USC227(b)
(http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode47/usc_sec_47_00000227----000-.html
) says "It shall be unlawful for any person within the United States, or
any person outside the United States if the recipient is within the United
States— ... ".

Like spammers sending from other countries, foreign telemarketers are
often selling on behalf of US companies who, I think, may be liable for
the violation.

FCC website documents citing 64.1200 are available at
http://www.hallikainen.org/FCC/FccRules/CiteFind/0641200.htm .

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising