[BC] fallout from cuts

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Mon May 5 21:51:30 CDT 2008

AH!  With this, I STRONGLY DISAGREE!

People will put up with real crap to get the compelling programming
they want!

I recall the 70s when WGTB (FM) was the college radio station of
Georgetown University in Washington, DC.  They had COMPELLING
programming (for some).  They kept a file of "fan mail."  The
engineering fan mail was most telling.  People sent in letters of
climbing trees to install HUGE Yagi antennas to get the station.

In the studios was a map of the Washington / Baltimore / Maryland /
Virginia / Delaware / West Virginia area.  They had thumb tacks in it
from the locations of listeners.  Attached to many of them were
(links to letters) from listeners as to how they were picking up the
station.  People did some amazing(ly stupid) things to pick up the
station.

Of course, this was even before Arpanet, so there were no other choices.

The station is long gone.  The Catholic Church didn't care for them
advocating "choice."  It is now WCSP, C-SPAN radio.  It is still
fairly compelling, but not so much so, and available from many other
sources, including XM.

It's new transmitter location, and antenna pattern.... not so much.

People have gone way out of their way to receive compelling
programming.  NO ONE has ever gone out of their way to listen to bad
programming on a superior signal!

Let's think about that for a second.  Listen to a noisy signal with
programming you REALLY want to hear, or listen to a very strong
signal with (pick your poison) rap music or a soprano singing opera!

Earlier in my life, I listened to short-wave broadcasts from
oppressed people.  I may have agreed or disagreed with those
broadcasts, but they were different opinions.  Even the easy to
receive Radio Moscow broadcasts were interesting.  Easy to receive
local popular music?  Who cares?

While I really DO think the engineering is important -- we should
provide the best possible signal -- the programming is MUCH more
important.  If you have compelling programming, people will find the
way to get it.

Providing poor engineering because it is easy, or inexpensive, is
really bad.  BUT, as long as you can provide compelling programming,
you will win.

Imagine an FM signal from a satellite in orbit above the US.  It
provides 70 dBu over the entire US on an FM channel.  Yet, the
programming is just awful, say smooth "jazz."  Would this work?

Take the same signal and put on compelling programming.  It might be
talk, but it might be popular music with interviews with music groups
and stars and contests to win both music, money, concerts, and
contact with the stars.

What wins?

Pick at nits if you want, but the real issue is that programming
trumps engineering.  Engineering is important, but even if you have
the best signal in the market, if your programming sucks, so do your
ratings.