[BC] it's engineers...

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Mon May 5 20:52:02 CDT 2008

It all depends on what you want out of life, and what you want to do
for a living.

I live in the eastern hub of Internet connectivity.  Internet peering
and hosting facilities have some pretty severe security procedures.
If all you have is a few dozen servers in a shared rack, it generally
isn't cost effective for you to service your own stuff.  So, you call
the company where your broken computer is located and bring them a
replacement.  They have a RACK MONKEY come take your replacement,
remove your broken unit, replace it, and deliver the broken unit to
you in the "lobby."

Rack Monkeys make in excess of $60k a year, and much more with "on
call" overtime.

Now, you have to ask yourself, do you want to have a job where all
you do is remove and re-rack equipment?  I would have to take up
HEAVY drinking, or even other drugs.

BUT, there are CEs making less, and there are staff positions with
half the pay which have about the same satisfaction.

These are very stable jobs.  If you show up for your shift, work at
50 to 60% of the output of a motivated person, and you answer most
out of hours pages, you will never be fired.

As sad as the job of a Rack Monkey is, it isn't as bad as some radio
"engineering" jobs.

I am NOT writing that all radio jobs are bad.  I have had many very
good ones.  However, I see what some of my friends and acquaintances
put up with, and some of those on this list -- I cannot even
imagine.  I would rather work as a stocker at Wal-Mart.