[BC] RIP Angel Harvey

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Mon May 5 08:21:42 CDT 2008

------ At 06:53 PM 5/4/2008, Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote: -------

>I asked her to wish dad a Happy
>New Year and tell him I miss him. She died two hours
>later. The CCU nurse told me her body was just saying
>"I know what you're trying to do, but no thanks. I'm
>ready to go now." After 57 years of marriage you do
>become attached and there is separation anxiety.

This is one of the saddest stories of all the famous people we've
lost over the past couple of years. Whatever your politics, if you
ever met Paul Harvey you met a very classy man. I saw him fairly
often when I worked at ABC. The same was true of Peter Jennings and
Howard Cosell.

My Mother suffered from Cancer. I flew home from San Diego to Western
MA for my Grandmother's funeral and found my Mother in the hospital
in a coma. I never made my Grandmother's funeral. I leaned over and
whispered that I loved her. Psychologist friends tell me she was
waiting for my permission to pass on. She died a few minutes later. I
lost my Mother and Grandmother within two days of each other.

This past week I went to breakfast with my usual crowd. Among them is
an 88 year old woman. I joked with her that she'd live to be 110. She
groaned that she hoped that wouldn't happen. She recently lost her
driver's license and feels "like I've already died." At a certain
point people seem to know when the time is right.

My guess would be that Paul Harvey will grieve for a while, then
throw himself into his work as many people do after a significant loss.

Rich