[BC] It's not just Engineers....

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Fri May 2 09:42:56 CDT 2008

------ At 08:05 AM 5/2/2008, Golchert, Michael A. wrote: -------

>     In looking through the trades of the last couple of days, it's not
>just the engineers that are lacking (as has been discussed on this
>list).  Several groups are having problems recruiting "qualified" GM's
>an well as DOS/GSM's/LSM's.  The listed reason for this tough
>recruitment problem is that people don't want to relocate in the current
>tough economic climate.

The lack of interest in relocating is legitimate. Even more so with
the current housing market. Why would one leave a decent job to move
to another market where a bad quarter could put you on the street in
a cost cutting move? I've been offered several jobs that would
require me to relocate. In all cases I felt the expectations were
unrealistic and meeting their goals wouldn't be possible. The
likelihood that I'd be looking for work within a year was high.

One was a music syndicator with small market stations. They had
nothing to sell and sterile programming. I just read that the were
sold and would be merged with an existing syndicator. The existing
syndicator doesn't need the duplicate staff, so my bet is that the
company that approached me will be firing most of the staff.

If you're single you can look at it as a short term adventure. If you
have a house and a family it's a serious risk. You'll be thankful
that Starbucks offers health coverage for part time employees. I know
a couple of high powered headhunters. Even they say stay put unless
the job pays at least 6 figures, offers relocation expenses and the
purchase of your existing house. Significant signing bonuses and a
firm contract should also be part of the package. With the recent
bloodbaths and the ones upcoming, it isn't time to move.

Rich