[BC] It's not just Engineers....

Golchert, Michael A. MichaelGolchert at clearchannel.com
Fri May 2 07:05:57 CDT 2008

    In looking through the trades of the last couple of days, it's not
just the engineers that are lacking (as has been discussed on this
list).  Several groups are having problems recruiting "qualified" GM's
an well as DOS/GSM's/LSM's.  The listed reason for this tough
recruitment problem is that people don't want to relocate in the current
tough economic climate.  Personally, I'm wondering if a larger (but
unspoken) part of the problem is the Wall Street earnings pressures that
percolate down to the local market level.

    To me, it appears that Engineers are not the only ones "not getting
enough respect".  I'm wondering if broadcasting as a entity "does not
get enough respect".  Consider the reduction in "analysts" that the
brokerage firms are assigning to watch the media.

    Engineers are just part of the package of Broadcasting.  As far Wall
Street is concerned, we are nothing more than a portion of a statistic
or two on a 10-K report.

    Yes, I work for a large, publicly traded company.  Yes, we have
budget pressures, just like any business, public or private, profit or
non-profit.  That's the way this country works.  We do our jobs at the
agreed upon rate, if we don't like it, we have the option to quit and
move on.  Indentured Servitude went away almost two centuries ago.

    Just my $0.02 worth on a Friday morning.

Michael A. Golchert
AM Field Engineer
Clear Channel Radio

The vast majority of the problems we encounter can easily be resolved
with the precise application of a 16oz. ball peen hammer.  Should the
above methodology not provide desired results, the application of 1.25
ounces of cyclotrimethylene trinitramine with a plasticizer of dioctyl
sebacate will resolve the situation to your satisfaction.