[BC] Court rejects RIAA's 'making available' piracy argument

Alan Kline akline at netins.net
Thu May 1 11:00:33 CDT 2008

I don't recall the source, but ISTR reading that the only difference
between "data" and "music" CD's is that the latter has a data flag set
to tell the standalone recorder that it's a legal "music" CD. I
generally set my record speed slower than the max, but that's due to the
fact that I'm usually doing something else on the machine while burning
the disc--that way, the HD can keep up with the burner.

I've never had trouble burning music to data CD's reliably, and given
that most of what I burn is public-domain old-time-radio programs, I'm
not about to pay tribute to the RIAA...

ak