[BC] Court rejects RIAA's 'making available' piracy argument

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Thu May 1 11:18:19 CDT 2008

>> IF you're silly enough to BUY a "music" CD... I believe the only time
>> you HAVE to use a "music" CD is if you have a dedicated CD Recorder -
>> one that's not part of a general-purpose computer system.  A computer's
>> CD-R/RW drive will burn music CDs onto a "data" CD just as easily as a
>> "music" CD - and will have the same expected service life.

I've heard that record companies get a royalty on "music CD" blanks. Is
that so? Anyone know where it is in the US Code? And, if they DO, it seems
that we are then paying a license fee and can make as many copies as we
want, right? Or, what ARE we paying for?

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising
opportunities available!