[BC] Collins 300-G & resurrected vintage boxes

David Joseph w7amx
Tue Sep 26 20:36:49 CDT 2006

Scott,

My aux antenna is the flashing around and on the peak of the roof on
my place.  When a palm tree frond fell and took out my wire antenna,
I switched to the backup.  I made an ATU and stashed it inside the
crawl space under the floor and end feed the flashing through a
ventilation hole.   With a busy schedule, I haven't had time to
resurrect the skywire, but still get acceptable reports when I do get
some air time (mostly 75 and 40m).  The only thing showing is a
discone antenna, and when the local antenna gestapo asked, I
responded..."Oh, its for FM."  (Okay, so I do a little SSB  on
VHF/UHF sometimes...).     They did ask about the wire antenna.  I
told them about the palm frond, they said..."Ohh, too bad!
(fake...fake).  I said..."Yeah...I know, I know."   BTW, I've already
been through the 'you can't have that up there/okay, look at this
license from the FCC, call 'em'.  They got that 'weaned on a pickle
look' and walked away.  Your situation may be more specifically
restrictive, but my 'no antenna-antenna' does get out.

Don't have flashing?  Just staple up some wire around the roof perimeter.
If someone asks...its grounding for lightning protection.  ;)

Dave Joseph CBRE, CBNT
W7AMX