[BC] Counterpoise Ground System

Cowboy curt
Wed Sep 27 20:50:40 CDT 2006

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 09:28 pm, Bailey, Scott wrote:
> Basically, what you're saying is after a certain point in the ground
> plane, it's useless, efficiency wise, but will help as a path for
> lightning strikes?

 Pretty much.
 Not exactly, but close enough.

> Well could you put one of the radials, say inside the PVC Pipe for
> allowing the strike to go to ground for vaporization?

 Why do that, though ?
 What I'm saying is that the difference between buried PVC water pipe,
 and buried iron water pipe is negligable if and when a strike occurs,
 if the strike energy can get to the water inside.

 The idea in lightning is to get the energy AWAY from man made and
 valuable stuff as quickly and as easily as possible.
 Properly placed ground rods will do that just fine.

 Bonding to a conductive city water system should provide somewhat
 better dissipation of the precursor strike, but that's really about it.

--
Cowboy