[BC] Stealth antennas

Thomas G. Osenkowsky tosenkowsky
Mon Sep 25 20:38:22 CDT 2006

Carl Smith examined a tower as a uniform transmission line.
Schelkunoff examined a tower as a non-uniform transmission
line. A larger diameter tower i.e. self supporting tower
occupies a greater surface area at the base, hence a greater
capacitance to ground. The larger diameter is also larger
than its smaller counterpart in comparison to the wavelength.

Recall that an infinitely thin quarter wave radiator above a
perfectly conducting ground with an infinitely thin insulator
has a base impedance of 36+j21 ohms. In practice, the
velocity of propagation, base insulator, height above
imperfect ground, guy wires, etc. produces an impedance
higher than this.

Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE