[BC] Counterpoise Ground System

Bill Harms wharms
Tue Sep 19 14:14:21 CDT 2006

Scott:

	Please check this out.  KSBN 1230 Spokane, Washington uses a counter-
poise system that stretches across the streets and parking lots to
other buildings.  http://spokane.philcobill.com/kfio/tower.php

And this from http://towers.philcobill.com/towers.html

Delaney Building (was Realty Building) West 242 Riverside Avenue.
1946 to present.

This transmitter plant is unique among Spokane stations with its
overhead counterpoise system. The tower is 190-feet tall and the top
is 305 foot above the street level. Technicians strung out 45,000
feet of wire for the counterpoise from the building rooftop. Some of
the wire was removed when neighboring buildings were razed. In 1946,
KREM1340 was the first station to use this facility. Purportedly,
KREM subsequently used 970 kHz from this site right before its move
to the Moran Prairie site in 1951, when much of the Delaney Building
transmitter plant was dismantled.  Del Cody and Dick Williams
purchased KFIO from Louis Wasmer in August 1951 and moved to this
site. They then rebuilt the transmitting facility, resumed
broadcasting on 1340 kHz as KSPO, and then later changed to 1230 kHz.
For a long time, the offices and studios were located on the third
floor of the Realty Building. KSBN currently transmits from this
facility on 1230 kHz (from 29 April 1991). Their offices and studios
are currently located in the Ridpath Hotel. Two other stations, KYLK
(1950's) and KRSS (19 September 1990-April 1991) also used this
facility for a short time. (Edward Antosyn and Carl Partlow, Early
Days of Spokane Radio; fcc.gov; Spokesman Review various dates)

((Bill Harms Copyright 2006))