[BC] Translator "interference"

Cowboy curt
Fri Sep 8 20:24:24 CDT 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 11:26 am, WFIFeng at aol.com wrote:

> Based on what you're saying, even though we're *just* outside the station's
> "protected contour", there *is* a chance we could get something done once they
> light this thing up?

 Based on my experience, when I was responsible for some 96 or so translators
 owned by one of those companies so many love to hate.....

 If a translator causes harmful interference to ANY licensed primary service radio station,
 the translator must take whatever means necessary to correct that interference,
 including leave the air if it comes to that, as directed by the Commission.

 If you allege interference to a signal from 200 miles away, I may ask you to prove
 you could actually hear that signal without the translator operating, and if you can,
 I'd be required to "resolve" the complaint. If you can't, then the complaint has no merit.

 A translator is a SECONDARY service, and may not interfere with ANY primary service.
 Protected contours apply to interference from another primary service, and have
 nothing whatever to do with translators. This is not like IBOC at all !!

 Once they light it up, if you can prove real harmful interference to a primary service
 station, the translator will be required to resolve the complaint.
 Bear in mind that if the translator can demonstrate a good faith attempt to resolve
 the issue, but you refuse their solution, OR you refuse them access to try,
 the translator will win. ( been there, done that, too )

 You must have real, demonstrable interference, AND the translator must be unable
 to resolve the complaint, **not necessarily to your "satisfaction,"** to make it go away.
 You must file a proper complaint with the Commission to get anything done at all.
 You will be "on record" as having done so.
 Be REAL sure you want to go there !

--
Cowboy