[BC] Multiple close-in Translators

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Fri Sep 8 10:36:09 CDT 2006

In a message dated 09/08/2006 07:39:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tpt at eurekanet.com writes:

 > Paul's wrong on this.  The Commission WILL grant translator apps inside the
 > protected contour of existing stations, and it appears the station has
little
 > recourse except a state court civil suit. This is a peversion of the rule
at
 > Sec. 74.1204 (D) that allows interference where the intereference area is "
 > unoccoupied."  The completely bogus argument is that the (usually) 2nd
 > adjacent translator's 100 dbu contour only interferes to the protected
 > contour around the base of the tower.

Good grief... well, this one will be on a first adjacent, and the area is
certainly occupied. They don't need it, that's for sure... IMHO, it's
just abuse
for the sake of "because we can".

 >  Supposedly under Sec. 74.1203 a translator can't continue to operate if it
 > causes "actual interference" to previously authorized stations.  Doubt that
 > the bozos in the media bureau would pay any attention to such complaints
 > unless backed up by some high-power Washington shyster.

Ok, now I'm really confused... say they do light this thing up, and the
station suddenly becomes unlistenable. (It will be hard to miss, because the
station will be swamped by it, immediately.) Will my complaint be a
waste of paper,
or will it actually get that thing shut down? My plan is to complain as soon
as it lights up, and to encourage others to do likewise.

Willie...