[BC] Multiple close-in Translators

Bruce Potterton bpotterton
Fri Sep 8 11:43:37 CDT 2006

It's a lot of work but you can make a pro-active complaint before they
light up.  We asked our listeners who lived or listened in an area out
side our 60dbu contour but inside the proposed translator's contour to
send us an affidavit stating that they could receive and listened to our
station in that area and that they feared loss of reception if the
proposed translator was transmitting.  We sent several hundred of such
affidavits along with our petition to deny.  We won.

Bruce Potterton
KSGN Riverside, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of WFIFeng at aol.com
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 8:33 AM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] Multiple close-in Translators

In a message dated 09/08/2006 07:39:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tpt at eurekanet.com writes:

 > Paul's wrong on this.  The Commission WILL grant translator apps
inside the  > protected contour of existing stations, and it appears the
station has little  > recourse except a state court civil suit. This is
a peversion of the rule at  > Sec. 74.1204 (D) that allows interference
where the intereference area is "
 > unoccoupied."  The completely bogus argument is that the (usually)
2nd  > adjacent translator's 100 dbu contour only interferes to the
protected  > contour around the base of the tower.

Good grief... well, this one will be on a first adjacent, and the area
is certainly occupied. They don't need it, that's for sure... IMHO, it's
just abuse for the sake of "because we can".

 >  Supposedly under Sec. 74.1203 a translator can't continue to operate
if it  > causes "actual interference" to previously authorized stations.
Doubt that  > the bozos in the media bureau would pay any attention to
such complaints  > unless backed up by some high-power Washington
shyster.

Ok, now I'm really confused... say they do light this thing up, and the
station suddenly becomes unlistenable. (It will be hard to miss, because
the station will be swamped by it, immediately.) Will my complaint be a
waste of paper, or will it actually get that thing shut down? My plan is
to complain as soon as it lights up, and to encourage others to do
likewise.

Willie...