[BC] LPFM's, now, reliable remote closures

Tom Bosscher tom
Thu Sep 7 20:07:44 CDT 2006

Mark Humphrey wrote:

 >I tried to devise a simple and reliable way to insert local IDs at the
remote
 >sites way back then, but couldn't find a suitable (inexpensive) remote
 >control scheme, so they are still reading the list once an hour.

    With all the advances in our broadcast technology, we still seem to
lack an easy way to get four to eight contact closures in the audible
region. I still would like to see someone come up with a box (puleez,
don't make it a card for one more cpu in the rack), that would use the
tone sequence like CBS/NBC/ABC used 20 years ago. Audible, yes, but very
quiet. These would be nice for triggering the translator ID's, for
controlling the automation at the studio by talent at the remote, and
for all the hundreds of programs that are sent live via ISDN or whatever
to ABC, but the contact closures aren't there. And again, lets drop the
DTMF,25/35 Hz stuff. We should be able to do better.

tom bosscher