[BC] LPFM's

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Thu Sep 7 19:48:32 CDT 2006

On 9/7/06, Rich Wood <richwood at pobox.com> wrote:

> Temple University runs a gaggle of stations or translators in
> Pennsylvania and ID's each one separately. When I was at WGBH,
> Boston, we had a network of stations along the East Coast. They were
> all independent and ID'd individually. One of them was owned by the
> Albany Medical College, now Northeast Public Radio. They also have a
> gaggle of stations in Upstate New York. The IDs take forever. It
> sounds a little like the legalese in car commercials.

I'm familiar with all off those groups -- in fact, I'll take the blame
for putting Temple's stations on the air about 15 years ago.  I tried
to devise a simple and reliable way to insert local IDs at the remote
sites way back then, but couldn't find a suitable (inexpensive) remote
control scheme, so they are still reading the list once an hour.
Some of their translators are identified by Morse Code (using AM
modulation) but this option isn't available for the Class A and B
stations.

Temple's network now prefers to be called "WRTI", so I'm sure the
management and their listeners would welcome a rule change that would
reduce the callsign clutter.  The rest of the civilized world got rid
of these requirements years ago.

Mark