[BC] LPFM Operations

Glen Kippel glen.kippel
Wed Sep 6 11:28:58 CDT 2006

On 9/6/06, Dan Kelley <djkelley at frontier.net> wrote:

> My own gut tells me that something does smell when it comes
> to non-comms "selling" blocks of time for paid religious
> programming (be it written up as a "donation" or otherwise).
>
> Making a donation or getting billed is the same thing, if
> it's a condition of getting a show on the air.
>
> I've been wondering about this scenario for years when I've
> listened to non-comm religious FMs run the same programs
> that I've heard on the commercial time-brokered stations.
>
> In theory, its possible to make a lot of money with a non-comm
> FM "brokering" out programming...no, I mean, accepting
> donations in exchange for running a program....
>
> I could be wrong.
>
> dan in lansing
>
> -----------------------

Yes, I agree.  You could be wrong.  After spending 30 years in
non-commercial Christian radio, I can tell you that I have never even heard
of a non-com "brokering" programming.  The only condition to air a program
was that it had to meet the needs of a significant number of listeners.
After all, if you are listener-supported it helps to have listeners!  Now,
at KHCS, we had something like 4 programs with "share accounts."  This means
that they would send us a percentage of whatever contributions came in from
our area.  That was nice, but in reality somewhat of a pittance.  And,
whether or not they had a "share account" had no bearing at all on whether
or not we would carry the program.

GK