[BC] LPFM Operations

Dan Kelley djkelley
Wed Sep 6 18:28:42 CDT 2006

>Yes, I agree.  You could be wrong.  After spending 30 years in
>non-commercial Christian radio, I can tell you that I have never even heard
>of a non-com "brokering" programming.  The only condition to air a program
>was that it had to meet the needs of a significant number of listeners.
>After all, if you are listener-supported it helps to have listeners!  Now,
?at KHCS, we had something like 4 programs with "share accounts."  This
>means that they would send us a percentage of whatever contributions came
>in from our area.  That was nice, but in reality somewhat of a pittance.
>And, whether or not they had a "share account" had no bearing at all on
>whether or not we would carry the program.

I do hear what you're saying.  So you get a split of proceeds.  Reminds me
of many PI deals I've been involved in over the years, where the station
would get a "commission" off the sales.  But all the ads were logged as
"commercials".

I don't mean any offense.  But if you've never heard of a non-comm
"brokering" programming, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Seriously, I can't imagine that there's no abuse in this area...and
(pardon the pun) but the devil in me would love to bring this to a head.

Again, I could be wrong...but common sense says otherwise...