[BC] Re: PD's are timid

Cowboy curt
Mon Sep 4 11:30:54 CDT 2006

On Monday 04 September 2006 12:14 pm, Donna Halper wrote:
> At 07:28 AM 9/4/2006, Cowboy wrote:
>
> >  It most certainly can, if it will !
> >  Just like WMMS became one of the top rated most listened to
> >  stations in the country ! ( 14 share 12+ )
> >  The parent company, Metromedia at that time, made the money which
> >  footed the bill for the creativity that made The Buzzard what it became.
>
> I worked there under the Malrite ownership-- Metromedia was really
> before the Buzzard took off.  I can tell you that none of us made the
> big bucks-- I was paid substantially less than the men (another story
> for another time), but even the men were not rolling in dough.  We
> got tons of perks from the record companies and met many many
> celebrities, but basically, it was the staff-- led by the committed
> Ops Mgr John Chaffee, PD John Gorman, and a hard working airstaff
> with lots of good ideas-- who made the station happen.  We made the
> money for Malrite, it seems to me...

 When it did take off, yes. You are absolutely correct.
 But in those early days, when you were paid poorly, before it took off,
 it was the parent Metromedia that carried the station. Had Metro kept it,
 then Metro would have reaped the rewards of their own forward thinking.
 Malrite got the benefit.
 The point though, was that it takes the will of an ownership willing to take
 the risk. Sometimes it pays off. Allowing those folks to go their own way
 at the time worked.
 It's my contention that "that corporation with 1200 stations" is in a better
 position to subsidize that kind of risk on a few, than is an owner with
 fewer stations, and more to lose per station.
 All it takes is the will to do so.

--
Cowboy