[BC] Re: PD's are timid

Donna Halper dlh
Mon Sep 4 11:35:36 CDT 2006

And Cowboy said--

>  It's my contention that "that corporation with 1200 stations" is in a better
>  position to subsidize that kind of risk on a few, than is an owner with
>  fewer stations, and more to lose per station.
>  All it takes is the will to do so.

Based on what I have seen, rather than letting a thousand flowers
bloom, the 5 conglomerates that own nearly everything have stifled
creativity, used more voice-tracking and syndication, and cut back on
local voices.  If radio today has any listeners at all, it is in
spite of, not thanks to, these types of bean-counting strategies.