[BC] The future of broadcasting...

Dan Kelley djkelley
Sun Sep 3 17:08:43 CDT 2006

>Didn't want to hear' had little to do with listeners. A decade ago I asked
>the music director at a country station (where I worked as engineer) why a
>certain new tune he liked wasn't on the playlist. He answered that the song

>wasn't being promoted as a 'single' by the label, and we would not play it.

>The weekly 'adds' list, I discovered, was purely a fiction created by the
>labels. 'Music director' meant nothing.

If we're still talking about a "gold" format...then what criteria beyond
chart position should make up a list that goes beyond the top 300 songs
that most "oldies" stations program today, beyond asking the audience what
they want.

I can't imagine that someone somewhere has tested an expanded playlist and
found that there's little mass interest beyond the top 300 (or whatever that

number is) songs that oldie stations play.  This is why the KOOL gold format
didn't last.

BUT:  If high quarter hours and the related advertising revenue aren't
important, then I say play 2000 or even 5000 songs!