[BC] The future of broadcasting...

Steve Newman shnewman
Sat Sep 2 12:06:01 CDT 2006

Yes I did read the article Dana. That 89% figure was very disturbing. Now
that number even gets into the little towns. (such as the one close to where
I live). It's ironic the very people who made cable "might" be buried by it.
Sad. Yes, I remember when cable came to San Francisco. It made sense there
as the city has such a hilly terrain. Then it picked up the HBO and Showtime
type channels (causing fragmentation). Well, me thinks the penultimate
fragmentation scenario might just be ready to unfold. It's no wonder I'm
trying to grab all the announcing I can do from my home for Satellite radio.

So where were the broadcasters? In denial again?

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dana Puopolo" <dpuopolo at usa.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: [BC] The future of broadcasting...

I don't know if anyone bothered to read the link I posted, but in a
nutshell,
the cable industry just bought at FCC auction a HUGE swath of nationwide
spectrum that they plan to use to make a new wireless
entertainment/information/communication network.

YES it will work in cars.

YES it's designed to put broadcasting (as we know it) out of business.

YES it probably will do so - unless broadcasters begin looking past the
present quarter all the time.

Or do you think Comcast and the other MSOs bought it (for billions of
dollar$)
to NOT get into the content business??

-D