[BC] The future of broadcasting...

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Sat Sep 2 11:53:11 CDT 2006

I don't know if anyone bothered to read the link I posted, but in a nutshell,
the cable industry just bought at FCC auction a HUGE swath of nationwide
spectrum that they plan to use to make a new wireless
entertainment/information/communication network.

YES it will work in cars.

YES it's designed to put broadcasting (as we know it) out of business.

YES it probably will do so - unless broadcasters begin looking past the
present quarter all the time.

Or do you think Comcast and the other MSOs bought it (for billions of dollar$)
to NOT get into the content business??

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: nakayle at gmail.com
Subject: Re: [BC] The future of broadcasting...

   Rich I'm not saying that terrestrial radio broadcasting is going to be
"dead"- I'm saying it will no longer be the only or even the primary source
of music for most people in the future.  And that radio's current
programming practices- too much yak, endless commercials, PSAs, promos and
limited and redundant playlists are driving young people to find these
alternative sources.

  As for cars and jogging, there will be wide-coverage WiMax systems, but
most people will probably listen to stuff they have already downloaded on
their computer.  They will just pull a thumbdrive or similar memory device
from their computer and stick it in their car or portable MP3 player.  As I
explained before, these can be filled automatically overnight with
programming (music or talk) of your choice, not what your local stations
choose to give you.

   - Nat